Want to have some local clams for dinner? Go dig your own! Just be sure to follow the rules and regulations below.
- The Town of New Shoreham is authorized to regulate the taking of shellfish and other fish in the Great Salt Pond.
- No one may take shellfish from Great Salt Pond without first obtaining a license. To obtain a license you must appear in person at the Harbormaster's office, with a photo ID.
- You must have your license on you while shellfishing.
- You may not store or hang shellfish in any container anywhere in the pond.
- You may not dig in or take shellfish from any of the closed areas.
- Digging in barrier grass is prohibited.
- You may only dig between sunrise and sunset.
- Using SCUBA equipment or breathing apparatus to take shellfish is prohibited.
- Shellfish must me measured before being places in a basket/bag/container.
- Harbor's Department employees patrol the grounds daily and will enforce all regulations.
To find out what areas of the pond are open to shellfishing, and hours for obtaining a license, contact the Harbor's Department at 401-466-3204