After another long winter, it’s finally time to “block out” some time on your calendar for your favorite escape — that transformative ferry ride to Block Island when you leave the world behind for your own little happy place. Come early, come often and make this spring, summer and fall your best ever!
Just a few things to consider as you get ready to mark your calendar and make reservations. If you’re the type who never wants to miss a signature event, here are a few of the biggies on the horizon:
- Restaurant Week 6/9-14: Always a favorite for foodies and anyone who loves to eat, this is the week when Block Island chefs and restaurateurs throughout the island tempt you with their freshest ingredients and finest recipes. Set your appetite dial for the week of June 11 and be sure to make advance reservations at your restaurants of choice! Check out www.birestaurantweek.com for more info.
- Block Island Music Festival 6/11-16: Maybe it’s that fact that we’re surrounded by waves that gives this island so much rhythm. If sun, sand and surf define our days, it’s music that makes our nights. The festival website calls it “a six-day long musical gumbo where festival goers sample music performed by the most talented, ‘undiscovered’ artists currently making music in the northeast.” As always, Captain Nick’s is the place, admission is free, and it’s strictly an age 21+ event from 9pm on. www.blockislandmusic.com
- Independence Day Celebrations 7/3-4: Without a doubt, Independence Day week is always one of the biggest summer weeks on Block Island and everywhere else in America! One of the best things about spending it here is that you can see the fireworks from just about anywhere on the island. And don’t miss the annual parade — this year’s theme is "Favorite TV Show" — and post-parade Steak Fry at the Fire Barn, benefiting the Block Island Fire Department.
- Blues on the Block, 7/10, 7/24, 8/7, 8/14: More music to make mid-week special! Mid-summer Wednesdays mean Blues on the Block, when all you have to do is bring a beach chair or blanket and listen to free Blues at the beach. It’s another Block Island tradition.
- Farmer's Markets start June 15, Race Week is June 23-28, and Bingo starts July 9!
If you’re more of a serenity-and-solitude type, we’ll let you in on the quieter weeks of the summer, when it’s easier to get reservations for restaurants and accommodations and, frankly, just easier to get everywhere you want to go on the island. The week right after Independence Day is generally the quietest week in July as the hordes of July 4 revelers have headed home and back to the workaday world. And the last week in August is just about heaven on earth here. Everything’s open, the water is at its warmest all summer, families with school-age children have traded in beaches for back-to-school activities.
Whenever you decide to take the trip to Block Island, keep in mind there’s always something to do and see, even if your favorite thing to do is nothing at all! You can always find out what’s up by checking out the Calendar of Events at http://www.blockislandinfo.com/island-events.